Subject: Re: [Leica] G system and Leica
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 09:34:32 -0800

The comparison between Leica and Contax G2 is just not a fair one. They are
two very different cameras. The comparison between the lenses also is not a
fair one except in the quality of image they deliver. Even there some factor
should be taken into consideration.

I own both systems and am equally happy with both for different reasons. I
am not about to "dump" either of them.

Now, if we could put aside unnecessary fanaticism, let us consider the most
important points.

First, Could Contax/Kyocera produce a system equal or superior to Leica? Can
anyone really dispute the fact that Zeiss, as Well as Leica/Leitz has
generations of experience - and has been a leader in optical technology?

Second, What is the philosophy behind the G2? I believe that Zeiss did not
set out to beat Leica. I think the marketing strategists at Contax/Kyocera
want to sell cameras and lenses and have come up with an attractive package
that not only pleases those who want more than basics but demand quality at
the same time. The bonus has been dynamite quality at half the cost when
compared to Leica.

I use Leica when I want total control and I use G2 when I want convenience
and automation.

Let us stop this childish contest. Frankly, my dear…….. I don’t give a damn
which is better.

Joseph Codispoti

Joecodi@thegrid.net