Subject: RE: [Leica] divergent opinions
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 11:06:56 -0500

Doug Herr wrote in response to Erwin's Declaration of Withdrawal:
>>I value the opinions of Eric and the analysis of Erwin.  Erwin tells me
what optical performance the lens is capable of, while Eric's opinion is of
the equipment in field use.  <<

Erwin - I think this says it all. Your test results and scientific analysis
represent the technical end of the LUG spectrum, and I suspect that Eric's
field observations are close to the middle of that spectrum. The fact that
many of us are not going to even think about putting equipment through the
kinds of paces you do, are not going to get out a tripod and an optical test
chart, and compare lenses, doesn't mean that we do not learn from your posts
and value your opinions. I admit I am more interested in hearing what
happens with a particular lens in the field than on the bench, for, among
other reasons, I know that at my level of photographic "skill" I am never
going to eke out the true value of some of the newer lenses.

But Erwin, your posts help make the LUG more than a Leica gossip column.
Please, don't go.

B. D.