Subject: Re: [Leica] divergent opinions
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 05:45:26 EST

Doug:

I agree with your comment.  IMHO this has nothing to do with which technique
is correct.  As you stated, both have merit.   It has to do with the
unwarranted and childish attack on someone else.  There is no knowledge on
this earth that is this important, especially the testing of lenses.  This IS
minutae, pure and simple, in my opinion.

Bob Bedwell

<< Erwin wrote:

 >I myself cannot contribute to the Lug anymore since Eric in his Olympic
 >wisdom has decreed that testers of lenses have worthless information about
 >lenses compared to his own views.

 I value the opinions of Eric and the analysis of Erwin.  Erwin tells me
 what optical performance the lens is capable of, while Eric's opinion is of
 the equipment in field use.  At various times my goal can be either to
 maximize the technical quality of my images, in which case I'll use a good
 tripod, Kodachrome 25 and optimum technique, where Erwin's opinion carries
 more weight, or to capture a fleeting image under difficult conditions,
 where Eric's opinion of the equipment's handling is paramount.  IMHO, both
 are valid uses of Leica equipment.  I favor the field use opinion because I
 frequently use my equipment under difficult field conditions and at the
 same time Jim Brick's optimum technique with his R-cameras demonstrates
 under real-world conditions how much can be done with 24x36mm of film.

 Given two lenses of equal optical quality, I'll choose the one with better
 handling.  Given two lenses of equal handling qualities I'll pick the one
 that cuts a finer image on film.  When faced with equipment with unequal
 qualities I'll pick the one best suited to the task at hand.  Now will you
 guys quit bickering?!?

 Doug Herr
 Sacramento