Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 TTLs...disappointment.
From: "dan states" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 07:37:45 PST

Walt, the idea that all things old were somehow  better made is
unfortunately not true.  The performance and
life span of nearly all consumer products is VASTLY longer than it was
in 1958.  Indeed houses may be the
only exception to this.

I'd put my 15,000 dollar economy car against any 50's era car for
reliability, performance and in most cases
safety.  The electronics you buy today are FAR superior in performance
to their ancestors!  Remember the
tube testors in drug stores?  They were there because we were replacing
tubes constantly.  I'm pretty sure a
new 300.00 27" tv set has a better picture than the 500.00 25" set from
1966.

As for leica cameras....I am not sure what you regard as a reduction in
quality.  I own cameras spanning from
the screw mount models to the M6, and in every case I have found the
precision of lenses and cameras greatly
improved!  The performance of my newer lenses is VASTLY better than my
1950's pieces, and I don't need a
tripod and Tech Pan film to see it.  Improvements in contrast and
distortion are visible regardless of film or
other factors.

You are quite correct about the reduction in real world prices!  A
washing machine in 1960 cost 300.00.
Today you can buy a better performing machine, that will last longer
with less maintenance, for 350.00!
The difference is not necessarily a reduction in quality, but an
INCREASE in productivity.  Better production
techniques mean better products at lower cost.  (For all who will
undoubtedly say I am nuts I will add that the
company I work for, who shal l remain nameless, tracks the repair
history of virtually all the consumer
prouducts in your home, and has done so for about 60 years)

Unfortunately Leica prices have NOT followed the trend of the rest of
industry.  Prices HAVE sky rocketed!  I
am not sure about 1958, but the 1965 Leica catalog lists a 50mm
Summicron for $147.00, so based solely
on price those lenses BETTER be just as well made as the older
units....They should be even BETTER, which
they are.

Dan