Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 TTLs...disappointment.
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 10:11:39 -0600 (CST)

Without resorting to a "pissing" contest, you're both right and
wrong, Dan, as is your company and most "consumer advocacy"
companies...

Briefly, "consumer" products may have improved, and in fact are
vastly cheaper than in the past (adjusted dollars)....I do
agree that your new car is safer, more economical (to RUN) and
a very good value....however, it's longevity is far shorter
than my l962 Chevy....and it's major repairs far more expensive
as a percentage of income than my truck....a tradeoff!...(I have,
and like, a Nissan Sentra....)

AS for vacuum tube TVs, it's the cost cutting measures of the
60s that led to DISMAL tube life....I have and use (exclusively)
high dollar communications and audio equipment, all tube,
in which the TUBE life is longer than the life of a new TV or
stereo...and of course, the equipment itself has a virtually
unlimited lifespan--and is repairable!! (tube and electrolytic
capacitor life of 20+ years, equipment life expectancy AT least
75 years)

All "consumer" groups are today geared to today's consumer....as
they should be.....they look for the best value per dollar (NOT
Leica) and the reliability for 10 years or so (CLEARLY not Leica),
after which the manufacturer stops "supporting" the product,
rendering it "obsolete"...(again, NOT Leica)....for the consumer
you and your company serve (assumption), you tell the truth,
accurately.....the "bookshelf" stereo today costs a small fraction
in adjusted dollars (pocket change) of what home audio cost in
1965.....and its disposal after 5-10 years IS the proper choice...

That's not my style of consumerism....yes, I'm one of those!!!...
I want an item FOREVER. I scrimp on other things (clothes, decoration,
even food), but I want my "durable goods" to be just that....
FOREVER....

I would have not wasted my breath on all this for the "X-generation"
consumer.....buy the CD player, beat the crap out of it for
3-5 years, and start over.....that's AN approach that is admirable....
even economical, with today's consumer products...it's just
not my style, nor is it representative of this list....if so,
buy Canon Rebels every few years for the price of a CLA on my
M4!!!!

Sincerely,
Walt