Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 goes back!
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 06:55:05 EST

Andre' Jean:

You viewpoint on the R8 and quality is outstanding.  I particularly liked your
comment about excellence is possible, perfection is not.  I am into my second
R8.  I sold the first one after not being able to get the winder to function.
Months later I realized that I had acted too quickly and purchased another
one.  I also own a Nikon F5 system and I can compare the two with some sort of
credibility.  Both are uniquely different.  I am glad I can have both as they
both do what they do better than any other SLR on the market, IMHO.    I
surely wouldn't want to live without Leica optics.

The response that I received from Leica when my first R8 failed  was
exceptional.  I am sure that I would have been disappointed with a similar
problem from Nikon.

Thanks for your comments.

Bob Bedwell

<< >
 >> Anyway, I hate to be bringing the group down with my Leica woes, but it
sure
 >> seems like others have had the same problems with the R8.

 I would like to voice a personal concern:

 It might have been more constructive to report
 on the problem and resolution thereof, and any
 problem encountered with service after the product
 had been "processed".

 Why ? Because most people don't realize that
 excellence is possible, perfection is not.

 I have had to manage customer satisfaction and
 audio stores before. Would people focus on the
 problems that do occur, even with some of the
 best products, it might cause enough confusion as to
 destroy an excellent product and market,
 and people's careers.

 Fact remains, even a space shuttle can go down
 on a rubber ring !

 I am totally convinced the problem will be
 properly addressed and that things will get back on track:
 proper action will be taken to maintain
 this customer a happy person.

 We might be stunned to learn of the failure rates
 of some competitors. The Leica R8 is a micro-electronics
 marvel, built like few others if any at all,
 and remains a very serious value I would surely
 like to have access to recommend and sell
 were I a photo store manager or owner.

 When people who are not cognizant of service bay procedures
 and real life conditions (that's the hot spot, the
 ultimate test of any "operation", where I'm concerned),
 are repeatedly exposed to worrysome or frustrating
 technical problems, their confidence goes down.
 To someone experienced with such realities,
 it remains that Leica products shine like no other!

 Further, a photo / cinema equipment technical career
 surely must be one trippy and rewarding job.

 Best regards,

 André Jean Quintal