Subject: Re: [Leica] olympus vs leica
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 06:58:56 EST

Yes, Mitch and Olympus optics are priced like Leica lenses.  My friend at the
camera shop showed me recently a 35-70 Olympus zoom at $1800.  I guess it
proves that you get what you pay for, well most of the time.

Bob Bedwell

<<
 > I'm also on the olympus list and I've recived this message
 >  any comments about this:
 >  :I have the following observations:
 >  :1. The sharpness and brilliance of the photos at all points on the prints
 >  :using all fives lenses at varying speeds and apertures was not one iota
 >  :less than I would have expected from my Leitz lenses. There is absolutely
 >  :5. I am *absolutely* sold on my Olympus equipment [the results are every
 >  :bit as good as those from the stuff made in Wetzlar or whereever!] as
well
 >  :Let's hear it for Olympus.

 My wife is a microscopist and deals with Leica <on topic>, Zeiss, Olympus and
 other major optical vendors on a very regular basis (one of her optical
 microscopes cost $160K; she also uses electron microsopes, but that's another
 discussion and much higher cost).

 In her field (according to her), Olympus has made great strides towards
parity
 with the big boys.  She has said on occasion, that with some 'scopes the
major
 differences are not with the optics, but with the hardware features the
'scope
 provides.  She says Leica and Zeiss still have the edge optically, but
Olympus
 is getting to be a very strong contender.

 /Mitch