Subject: RE: [Leica] Definition of a Professional
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 19:54:43 -0500

"How do "really top" professional photographers
get separated and recognized from the amateur that calls himself or herself
professional."

That, Bob, is a quite different question from "what is a professional."

Here I'd suggest that what makes people stand out is what they do, not what
they say or place after their names. If you do top work, you'll become known
for doing top work. If you become known for doing top work, work that stands
out from that of other photographers shooting the same kinds of subjects,
you'll become known as a "top" professional. I realize that that sounds more
than a bit banal, but I believe it really is the truth. Most letters.
titles, are meaningless, because anyone who pays the required fee can get
them. Yes, there are groups who certainly help their members, be that help
in the form of cut-rate insurance, increased bargaining power, etc. But when
it comes down to it, it's the work that separates the sheep from the goats -
to coin a phrase.

:-) B. D.