Subject: Re: [Leica] volunteer picture taking
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 08:51:44 -0800

Carl wrote:

>Well, I may be the exception to this dialogue on volunteer picture
>taking.

I consider it part of my civic duty to do one or two pro-bono jobs a
>year. I ask for my materials and expenses to be covered.>>>>>>

Hi Carl,

Been there done that! And I don't have any problem with this kind of
community spirit picture taking. Actually under the circumstance as you
describe it's a good thing for each one of us to do. For the amateur crew,
it gives them an opportunity to shoot a subject they might not otherwise do.

However this isn't what we are referring to, we're talking about plane
fares, multi dozens/hundreds of rolls of BW & colour film, processing and
printing in some cases. And it's usually for "big time aid" organizations
who can well afford to pay for film and or food and lodging, plus film and
processing.

<<<<I only take on jobs or projects that hold an interest for me and that I
think will do some good for those people who are the recipients of the
services.

That means no PR jobs and grip and grins and stuff like that of bigwigs
>getting or giving checks, etc. I retain all copyrights. Also, when I
>take on one of these jobs it is with an understanding of where it will
>begin and end.>>>>>>

Again I completely agree with your method and logic. I mean if you';re
going to do this it might as well be interesting and not being called on to
do the gip and grins.

>This project gives people in the community a chance to see the diversity
>and strength of photography. It introduces them to people they would not
>otherwise know. It gives the participating photogs (all of whom are
>professionals) a chance to experiment and develop and perfect techniques
>that they don't have the opportunity to do with their regular clients.>>>>>>>

it becomes a win-win thing for photog and agaency when it is approached in
this manner.

>I don't feel bad about this. I don't feel used. I don't feel like
>everyone who asks me to pick up my camera has to pay me something. There
>is always time for that. What truly offends me more is having a client
>nickel and dime me over $90 when I know they just received a contract to
>build 50 townhouses at $250,000 each.>>>>>>

It's this kind of "business people" that are the biggest pain in the ass
and I avoid them like the plague, absolutely wont deal with them.

>I probably won't get wealthy with this attitude of charity. But in my
>heart I know it is the right thing to do.>>>>>>>

Yeah but doesn't it give you such a nice feeling when the people whom you
have really done something special for, show their warm human being thanks.
:)  You know they truly appreciate what you have done.
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant