Subject: Re: [Leica] volunteer picture taking
From: Harrison McClary <mcclary@iname.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 16:01:42 -0600

Big snip
>I probably won't get wealthy with this attitude of charity. But in my
>heart I know it is the right thing to do.
>--
>Carl Socolow

Carl,

You hit right on the head what I was getting at a few days ago with my
response to Bob about what I find rewarding and what keeps me going in
photography.

There is a big difference in the pay I recieve and the reward I get from my
work.

Sometimes I can do a multi thousand day rate and feel very little reward
except for being technically proficient....not exactly a rewarding feeling
IMHO.  And there are days I shoot a photo no one will ever pay me for and
feel greatly rewarded for the moment captured - example a pix of my
daughter that I will put on my wall.

I do not make a practice of giving my work away.  I will do some work for
my church. If a good friend asks me to make some photos for them personally
and I feel like doing it I never charge as friendship is far more valuable
to me than monetary value.  I have photographed 2 weddings, soon to be 3,
all for very close friends (Well one was for a close friend of my
ex-wife...damn her for getting me into that one...those ungrateful sobs
never even said thank you) The one coming up is for a very close friend who
I go fishing with.  He and his fiancee do not have alot of money so I told
him my wedding gift would be the photos for his wedding.  I do not consider
this selling myself short.

I used to do a lot of work in the Country Music arena, shooting a lot for
Country Weekly magazine. I frequently had the labels calling me wanting to
use my photos or hire me to do publicity photos during the filming on
videos, albumn cover shoots and such.  When I would quote my rates they
would get all pissed and say we can get xyz for $60/hour.  I would respond
"Well hire them then, I don't work that cheap."....They would hire them,
the video would be taped, I would shoot it for Country Weekly, then they
would call me back asking to use my photos because the $60/hour shooters
stuff was crap.  Then they would have the audicity to bitch about my use
fees...damn these guys are selling platinum records then bitch about a few
hundred dollars for photo reuse....go figure.  They get what they deserve.

In case anyone misunderstood my post from the other day (rereading it it
would be easy to do) I did not mean to imply that I do not think about the
monetary side of the business...if that were the case I would be a broke
photographer.  No what I menat was that I do photography as my job because
I love it.  To make a lot of money was not the reason I went into
photography, getting a huge check, while a nice feeling, would be hollow if
I did not enjoy creating the best image I am capable of creating.  That is
when I begin to feel like a prostitute, when working soley for the money
involved.  I have done that a time or two, and now only do the kind of
photography I enjoy.  Probably miss some cash, but make up for it in years
added to my life. :)

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto
Preview my book: http://www.volmania.com