Subject: Re: [Leica] Colored Tape! and Mounties
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 08:51:37 -0800

Doug Richardson wrote:

>Subjected to that sort of hassle, I wouldn't have waited for a tap on
>the shoulder, but would have packed up my gear and gone back to the
>office - quick time!  There are times - irrespective of the size or
>one's ego - when walking away is the only answer to the official
>rudeness which so often passes for "security". As an editor, I'd
>support any photographer working for me who packed his gear and went
>back to the office when faced with this sort of treatment.>>>>>>>>

Hi Doug,

It wasn't any big deal as you may think it was, as only a couple of "ego"
guys  complained.  All the others, myself included, just taped up and
didn't fined it any hassle at all.  It became a joke with the male photogs
at what other "item" could be taped indicating size of anatomy! :)

It was purely a common sense security thing at the time.  Don't forget it
isn't too many years ago, the dozen or so photogs covering major news
events were using Speed Graphic and there weren't any 3 foot long lenses
poking out of the crowd.  It was the beginning of the " long lens army we
see at events today."

Don't forget we the media get used on occaision by terrorist groups to get
a "clean shot" at somebody.  So the police can't be blamed for checking,
they even carried rolls of tape so local news photogs could tape at press
briefings before the event.

Sure there are times when the "yellow tape lines" are rediculously applied,
but  I don't argue, it's a no win situation.  I just break out a longer
lens and go find a place to circumvent the situation.  It's called using
your brains, long lenses and don't whine.  I come home with pictures while
the whiners are still standing there bitching!

One thing I've learned is, too many photographers with long lens and
extenders think of using them only in sports situations and not for every
day use.

Works for me and saves the arguing no picture situation.
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant