Subject: [Leica] 135mm Hektor
From: pieter@world.std.com (Pieter Bras)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 10:12:51 -0500

Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> ... Although I must say that I was quite happy with the Hektor,
> especially for portraits.  I have since done my own comparison of
> the two lenses (using an antique doll with lots of detail as the
> subject), and while the difference is there to be seen on the
> light table, the Hektor is certainly no dog.

Last year, after reading the Viewfinder article, I bought a late-50's
bayonet-mount Hektor from Sherry Krauter, and had her CLA the thing.
Total cost:  under $200.  The results have been simply outstanding, and
I now don't feel any need to acquire a faster/heavier/more-expensive
135.  I did also buy a nice SHOOC 135mm finder and that makes using the
135 a lot more fun.

I've heard that there was optically more sample variation in the older
lenses than in current production, but a fair comparison should include
properly cleaning anything as old as a Hektor.

BTW I have bought a number of Leitz items from Sherry K. and can't
recommend her highly enough.  Unfortunately, she seems to have stopped
advertising on the LUG since the recent destructive round of for-sale
bashing.

- --
Pieter Bras