Subject: [Leica] Re: my thoughts on e-mail
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 07:00:56 -700

On 23 Feb 99, Nathan Wajsman wrote, at least in part:

<snip>

>The LUG is still by far the most civilized mailing list I have ever
>participated in, but less so now than back in April 98 when I
>first joined.

Would that this were true, Nathan. There are many many mailing
lists that are far more civilized and less combative than this.

It is probably true that size has a lot to do with it, since others
have much smaller subscriber lists and/or tighter supervision by
the listowner.

It could be argued that freedom means a greater inherent risk.
Most of us, I'd wager, will opt for the freedom. Peer pressure is
about all we have to keep things civil, but don't underestimate
peer pressure!
- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org

     Thought for the day:
        A Buddhist monk refused Novocaine
        when faced with root canal surgery.
        He wanted to transcend dental medication.