Subject: Re: [Leica] Trip to Italy
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 21:41:59 +0100

Bill,

I have to pass on Leica dealers, and I have never been to Rome, but Florence
and its surroundings are definitely wonderful. The city itself is well
documented, so I will not dwell on it. But if you rent a car, I would highly
recommend driving south to Chianti (20 km from Florence) and further to
Montalcino (40-50 km). You can also go on to Siena (perhaps 40 km from
Florence), a beautiful medieval town. Chianti and Montalcino are home to
Italy's greatest wines. Many of the wineries can be visited, and often are not
nearly as commercially oriented as those in, say, Bordeaux. You will have the
opportunity to taste and buy wonderful wine (at great prices), meet really
interesting people, and of course take nice pictures. In Montalcino my favorite
is Fattoria dei Barbi, tel. 0577-849356. Chianti's principal town is Greve, and
the most interesting winery to visit is Villa Calcinaia, 055-854008. We went
there in the summer of '97, and our two-hour visit with the owner, talking
about the history of the place (owned by the same family since the 16th
century) and drinking their wines, was the high point of our trip to Italy. It
is wise to call before coming to visit.

Nathan

Bill Grimwood wrote:

> I will be going on vacation to Italy (and I know that is not America) ( I
> have learned my lesson well)  ( all in good fun) in a few weeks, 4 days in
> Rome and 4 days in Florence.  Can anyone recommend some good Leica dealers?
>  I am always looking for a good piece of used equipment.  Is the exchange
> rate good?
>
> I think my equipment will be as follows:  2 M bodies,  21mm, Tri Elmar, 50
> Noctilux, and 90 Elmarit and a small flash.  Do any of you have been there
> have any other recommendations.  Are tourists allowed to make photos inside
> the buildings of the Vatican?  This will be a  new experience for me as I
> have only been to the Italian Alps.
>
> Is there any crime problem I need to be especially aware of?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Bill Grimwood

- --
Nathan Wajsman