Subject: Re: [Leica] Trip to Italy
From: "Peter C. Palmieri" <palmieri@cybernex.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 16:28:49 -0500

Bill--

I wouldn't be any more concerned about thievery in Italy than I would in any
other city--on a city by city basis, crime is much more of a problem in the
US than Italy. Normal caution is all that is necessary--just be careful of
the gypsy children with their mothers who are a bother.

I highly recommend that you take two guidebooks with you which are published
by Eyewitness Guides. These two are: The Eyewitness Guide to Rome and the
Eyewitness Guide to Florence and Tuscany. I have traveled to Italy many
times over many years and still find myself referring to these marvelous
guidebooks. By the way I have no connection with them.

There is so much to see in these cities, that there should be little time to
do much exploration in the countryside. But, I would take one day to visit
Siena which is a short train or bus ride from Florence.

I don't think you will find any bargains for camera equipment in Italy. It
is an expensive country.

If you need some information on restaurants etc., just let me know.

Go to http://www.elohi.com/photo/index.html and scroll down to Italian Image
of the Week and click. You will find many outstanding photos of Tuscany and
Rome there. You will be please to see that the photographer uses the Nikon
along with his M6's. For most pictures the essential data is included.

Peter in NJ