Subject: [Leica] RE: Ansel Adams, Yosemite NP, and Moonscapes
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 17:01:38 -0600

At 08:05 AM 20/01/99 -0500, Jeffrey wrote:
>I may be missing something here, but who cares and why does it matter?  Is
>there some speculation that he "faked" it?

Jeffrey:
   You are missing something here.  Photo history is important to some.  It
matters in the same way as it matters when a painter produced a particular
painting.  To some, there is a need to know these things.
   Someone else posted that "Adams had not been forthcoming with the date
and time."  Well, not exactly...
The issue is not whether or not he faked it, but _when_ it was made.  I
think Beaumont Newhall had to correct Adams on several occasions about the
first date of publication of some of his images.  For more on this, see
"Examples: The Making of 40 Photographs" by Adams.
   Adams states, "Because of the unfortunate disregard for the dates of my
negatives I have caused considerable dismay among photographic historians,
students, and museums -- to say nothing of the trouble it has caused me.
_Moonrise_ is a prime example ... It has been listed as 1940, 1941 ... At
the suggestion of Beaumont Newhall, Dr. David Elmore of the High Altitude
Observatory at Boulder, Colorado, put a computer to work on the problem.
Using data from a visit to the site, analysis of the moon's position in the
photograph, and lunar azimuth tables, he determined that the exposure was
made at approximately 4:05 P.M. on October 31, 1941." (p.43, Examples)
   Whoever posted this first query mentioned an article appearing recently
in a newspaper or magazine regarding this.  If so, it may be a
re-examination of Elmore's analysis, but the first actual dating took place
many years ago, and the issue has probably been settled to (almost)
everyone's satisfaction.