Subject: [Leica] RE: Ansel Adams, Yosemite NP, and Moonscapes
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 05:51:13 -0600

At 09:15 PM 20/01/99 -0600, Walter wrote:
>I wonder IF Adams/Smith/etc. would even be HIRED by DOI or Life today,
>with todays copyright/ownership squabbles?  The DOI would send
>one of their drones, Life etc. -- well who knows?

Copyright and ownership issues were less important then, but they also came
up.  For example, when Dorothy Lange was working for the PFRA (around the
time when Adams worked as her darkroom assistant), she ran into some
difficult issues regarding who would retain ownership of the negatives.
All of her negatives went to Washington, and were retained.  That did not
sit very well with her.  She only had very limited rights to republish any
of her own work.  However, because of that policy, there are thousands of
images in the US national archives which document and important part of its
history.