Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinder&Fast lenses
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 09:59:02 -0600

&gt;With a slow lens on a rangefinder you can get the same results
(or<br>
&gt;better) as with a fast lens on an SLR.<br>
Based on what information? There are always cases where that's going to
be true. And not true.<br>
For example:<br>
I photographed the funeral of a 100 year old woman who was an important
part of the civil rights movement in the 60s. Some great stories from her
grandchildren of going to Washington to meed President Kennedy and
hearing Martin Luther King give his &quot;I have a dream&quot; speech. I
have to note, they gave me complete access to shoot anything from
anywhere I want. They know the role photojournalism played in the civil
rights movement back in the 50s and 60s. (See <i>Powerful Days</i> by
Charles Moore to see what I'm talking about). Too bad Coretta Scott King
has forgotten...but that's another story.<br>
Now with all that falderall out of the way, I was sitting in a pew in the
Cathedral (yes we have one of those in St. Joseph) hand holding (propped
on the back of the pew in front of me or on a hymn book on my knees and
camera propped on that) my R8 and 70-180 Vario Apo Elmarit R at 2.8 and
1/24 of a second. Got a bunch of sharp pictures, but many were also
blurred. Most not by camera shake, but from the movement of the person's
head.<br>
So maybe you can shoot shaper pictures with slower lenses, but subject
movement figures into the equation too. So the speed of the lens is as
critical on a rangefinder as on an SLR for many subjects, especially ones
that move.<br>