Subject: Re: [Leica] Luftwaffen Leica - Help with Identification
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 18:31:27 -0700

Eric Welch wrote:

> >topic, what's the new law in California (!) about it being an
> >invasion of privacy to stand on PUBLIC soil and "invade" privacy
> >with a camera?>  anybody heard this?  the so-called "papparrazi"
> >law?  Oh, well, as usual, such ideas originate in CA and spread
> >like leprosy over the country.......
>
> It's going to eventually be proven unconstitutional, but most photographers
> are afraid of the lawyer costs to get it to the Supreme Court. Hope the CA
> court is all the higher it has to go.
>
> You probably have to be using a telephoto lens to get arrested. That's how
> poorly it's written.
>
> It is the dark side of political correctness, press bashing and left-wing
> cow-towing to celebrities. It ends up penalizing not only those sleazoids
> known as paparazzis, but legitimate photographers as well. Technically
> anyone can be arrested for using a telephoto lens in public places. That's
> how poorly written it is.
> --
>
> Eric Welch
> St. Joseph, MO
> http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch
>
> Out of my mind.  Back in five minutes.
The whole Privacy issue was dredged up comparably recently to undermine
the first amendment. The first amendment has come through with the
needed clout pretty much every time. I rightfully cynical I've been
about the justice system and american politics, this one has come
through for me. This California thing won't last for long. That
California, it's a country all to itself, isn't it?
Mark Rabiner