Subject: Re: [Leica] the new kid on the block and question #1
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 18:25:14 -0700

Walter S Delesandri wrote:

> I agree with Mark, the "skinny" tele-elmarit is an embarrassment
> for Leitz, BUT the "fat" version (chrome or black) is at least
> MECHANICALLY worthy of the Leitz label....optically, they're
> all at least fair....
> Have owned EVERY single 90 (elmar sm, bm, elmarit bm, summicron
> E48, BOTH tele-elmarits-three of them!, and the current-but-non
> asph model (f2)....they're ALL wonderful, but then I really
> like 90s (and canon 85 and Nikkor 105-you get the idea)
> There is a WIDE variety of 85-90mm lenses to mount on your
> Leica, many of them DIRT CHEAP <$275 or so...buy 'em, try 'em,
> trade 'em -- won't cost you much since they're easy to sell...
> get and keep a 90 M-ring ($60-70) and try them out....I "had"
> to have a new Summicron, but it's no better than my 90 elmarit
> or 85 1.8 black Canon was.....just had to have that sleek black
> thang, ya know.....

by new Summicron as in apo asph newest?
the best thing about the 90's is no one likes'em.
I think Leica hopes this will change with the .85 finders which don't
impress me for my needs except for a distant third body to shoot only
teles. I'm also very excited about the new 135m. For Leica to be coming
out with al these improved teles makes me like the .85 finder even if I
never get one.