Subject: Re: [Leica] Chemistry Questions
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 20:08:27 -0600

Sunday, Sunday, January 03, 1999, Bryant Terry wrote:

> I remember using stuff that came in a can called UFG (ultra fine
> grain?).  I used this for years with replinsher.

Bryant,

I  WISH  I could find some UFG, made by Ethol. Have been looking for a
while.  I  heard  a month or so back that it is still made, but no one
round  here carries it, but Nashville is hardly the heart of the photo
supply  world.  We  got  Dury's  who  is  about as useful as tits on a
bull.....stocks  almost  nothing  a working pro needs. last time I was
there needing RDP they only had 3 rolls....

> I am living in a part of Tennessee that if the Wal-Mart ain't got it,
> you're SOL.  What mail order places are best?

Where  in  Tennessee?  AFAIK  Kim Sherman and I are the only two other
"Volunteers"  on  the list and we both live in Nashville. I get around
the  state  a  lot  as  my "day job" does magazines all over Tennessee
including  the  state  vacation  guide  and  the  state  economic  and
development guide.

I  have  recently  started  using  B&H since my former supplier closed
shop.  The fellow I bought from at the old place now works for B&H and
handles  orders  personally  for his old professional accounts. He has
his  own 800 # and takes care of the orders himself. I have been using
them  for  about  a month now and have had no complaints. They are not
doing  the charge on back order thing that was reported on this list a
few  weeks  back,  but  maybe  they  handle  customers with an account
differently than credit cards?

For  Leica  I stick with Sam Soshan, Pat McKee, and Don Chatterton (no
particular  order  to  my  listing  the names here). All equally nice,
knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with.

As  far as the B&W stuff goes I have been using the Tmax with the Tmax
developer  just  for  ease  of  use. one shot and toss it.  The ilford
chemicals   are  what I  use  for  printing. We always used them at the
newspapers  and  wire  services  I  worked with so I got used to them.
Being  liquid  also does make it a lot easier for one time mix and use
than  the powder junk. For paper I prefer the Agfa multi contrast semi
matte RC paper.   nice brilliant whites and hard blacks.

Best regards,
 Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto
preview my book: http://www.volmania.com