Subject: Re: [Leica] Chemistry Questions
From: "Joe Stephenson" <joeleica@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 18:46:17 -0700

Bryant,
I'm not clear if you mean that you are going to use Tri-X, or that it's
simply to do with brain calibration. But you could do worse than starting
with D-76 one:one until you get back into dark room work. T-MAX is very
nice, but if you buy D-76 from a mail order place and misx it from power, it
works well and ships well. You will get tons of advice, all of it sound.
There are tons of good developers, and people do good work with most of
them.
Sincerely,
Joe Stephenson
+++++++++=
Bryant wrote: [cut]
But to the chemistry:

I remember using stuff that came in a can called UFG (ultra fine grain?).  I
used this for years with replinsher.  Bummer to mix (not to be confused with
beemer or bimmer).  When I slowed down, I remember using Microdol-X diluted
1 to a zillion and throwing it away.  My favoritest picture was processed in
Rodinal, but this seemed somewhat grainy.  The only thing I can find around
here is this new T-MAX stuff.  Seems okay, but expensive.  I've read HC-110
is good, but have no exposure to it (sorry).
My brain is still calibrated to Tri-X.  No, I can't, won't, will not change.
What I want are liquids I can mix for an evenings processing, and then toss.
I also can't remember which fixer I used, if it had a hardener or not, +/-s.
Paper seems easier.  My local guy has Ilford in  plastic jugs which I can
mix for an evening's worth and discard.  Seems okay quality wise.
I am living in a part of Tennessee that if the Wal-Mart ain't got it, you're
SOL.  What mail order places are best?
Any other advice (careful, I've secretly been listening and I will consider
the source) may be appreciated.
Kind regards,
Bryant