Subject: Re: [Leica] Chemistry Questions
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 23:16:39 -0500

Bryant-

If you are getting mail order, I'd stick with a powder and mix it- travels
better. The old standby D-76 is great with Tri-X. You can use it mixed 1:3,
and toss it or use the replenisher ( just as easy, really, and use a gallon
of developer and a gallon of replenisher for about 150rolls!
You can get Kodak Rapid Fix- Mix one strength for film, and another for
paper, comes with a hardener that use may use or not, as the mood strikes.
I get it in what looks like a 5 liter bottle, and it stores a long time.
For stop-Bath, I get glacial acetic acid- usually in half liter bottle at a
chemical supply house for less that what have to pay for the yellow label-
two ounces of that to a gallon of water- makes about a 1.5% acid solution OR
go to the store and buy a gallon of WHITE DISTILLED VINEGAR at 5% and mix 2
parts vinegar to 3 parts water.... The stuff is made from natural gas, and
is real easy to find out in the country where pickling is done!
Ethol used to make UFG and TEC and EFG, but I haven't used the stuff in
years, so I am not even sure it's still being made! My old standby store
even quit carrying Diafine!
I am glad to hear that there seems to be a resurgence of interest in things
pertaining to the B&W darkroom!
Dan
dwpost@msn.com