Subject: Re: [Leica] SHARPNESS
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 16:22:49 +0100

Dominique PELLISSIER wrote:

> If sharpness is not the main criterium, why buy Leica lenses ? Nikon or
> Canon lenses are 3 or 4 times less expensive.
> Do you know that only 15% of Leica buyers in the world are professionals
> (origin : Leica Camera and Le Figaro (a french newspaper)06/02/98 p.4)
> ?...So 85 % of pros have answered to my question.They don't buy Leica.

And, so what Dominique ? The reasons (if any) to buy Leica are maybe
elsewhere as well. For example the idea of using lenses that are
proven to be the best in the industry, even if one objectively will
never use them to the point where it makes a real difference.

What I really like is the knowledge that ANY failure of an image is only
due to me. Leica provides me - at tremendous cost - with such a
certitude. It certainly makes me more comfortable, bold and happy when I
shoot. Up to now, the results have confirmed this general feeling.

Then there are other reasons. The M line speaks for itself: it is the
only line of equipment of its kind. The case for the R line is more
complicated. I personnaly find that the build quality is 'awesome' (to
use a common LUG adjective), and like the way lens and body feel while
shooting. A very sensuous experience. Nothing to do with
professional productivity. For me anyway. And always that certitude that
a disappointing picture is my own fault. My guess is that once you've
used a Leica, it is difficult to go back to other suppliers, but
financial contingencies will often be heavier in the balance than the
pleasure factor...

Nevertheless, I certainly understand that most professional
photographers have productivity requirements that are better managed by
other hardware. At a fraction of the cost. Some applications do require
super duper AF and 5 fps. A minority of professionals will have other
requirements, that will be fully answered to by Leica. All that is
perfectly OK. I feel more sympathy to the slower, more relaxed and more
discreet 'Leica way' of shooting and to what that attitude shows of the
photographer's own personnality....

Alan
Brussels-Belgium

Alan