Subject: Re: [Leica] SHARPNESS
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 08:11:38 -0600

>If sharpness is not the main criterium, why buy Leica lenses ? Nikon or

Because, as we say over and over and over again, sharpness isn't the main
criterion for lens quality. Leica lenses are not significantly sharper than
the best from Japan, or elsewhere. There are many other corrections that
balanced out create lenses with superior qualities.

Leica is choice #3 among pros, only behind Canon and Nikon. Photo District
News survey of readers. I know many photojournalists who use Leica. Why?
Because the M system is superb for what they do. But it's also because of
the lenses. Don't fool yourself, photojournalists care about image quality.

Jeanloup Sieff's loss is no argument for or against Leica. He could
probably sell one print and buy that 24.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

As far as I'm concerned, treachery will sometimes bring loyalty into question.