Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinder adjustments
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 17:41:28 -0600 (CST)

Hello, Andrew and the bunch.
It is with fear that I make this post.  I don't want to start
a frenzy of do-it-yourself RFDR adjusters out there.  Please
don't destroy your cameras.  However, if you must 'go there',
the little screw between the windows on the top cover is a
cover screw.  Behind this is an eccentric screw (M4-2 and earlier)
that adjusts the vertical position of the RFDR telescope.  Be
aware that there is a bit of free travel in the adjustment, and
then it begins to move the telescope vertically up or down.  This
adjustment effects the vertical alignment VERY quickly, so that
a TINY movement in the telescope tube has a GREAT effect on
alignment.  Please be careful, and don't twist-away on this
control.

The infinity adjustment is the screw in the middle of the roller
cam follower just inside the top of the lens mount.  This is a
press-fit eccentric adjustment.  Use a wide-blade, bent jeweler's
driver that fits the screw exactly.  Don't mar the screw head,
please.  This adjustment has no free play, and the adjustment
happens QUICKLY...no more than a degree or so is required to
move the infinity significantly.  Don't slip and tear up the
curtains or the inside of the "box" please.  Try several
lenses of different vintage/condition, and "average" the
infinity adjustment if necessary.

The only other RFDR focus adjustment is the near-focus compensation
at the "base" of the cam-follower lever.  Don't touch it.  EVER.
If you adjust the infinity, check the focus at 3-5 feet with a
FAST lens, and if it's off, get a GOOD repairman to look at it.
BTW, it won't be off.  Unless someone not "in the know" has
disassembled it, and if this is the case, other things should
be checked, as well.

Hope this answers your question, Andrew, and I posted this to
the group in case it can help anyone else.

CU, Walt