Subject: Re: [Leica] M6TTL - Leica USA Pres Visit/DOF/Adjustments
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 17:10:46 -0600 (CST)

That is simply incorrect.  Either your friend is mistaken, or something
was missed in the conversation......If this person disassembles a camera
without knowing about the near-field compensation, and doesn't mark it's
position with a scribe mark, then you rely on luck that he gets the
cam follower lever back in the same position.  While most wouldn't
notice at average apertures, a Noctilux or Summilux wide open at
3-5 feet could be focussed WAY OFF, even if the infinity was perfect.
The CLE/CL DID NOT have this adjustment, and was "averaged" in
manufacture.  This is why some CL lenses focus on SOME M bodies --
different design of the cam-follower and lever.....by chance, some
M bodies match the cam slope on the CL lenses perfectly!
If you can verify that this repairman actually believes that there
is no such adjustment, then PLEASE don't let him pull your RFDR--
quite a few repairs require this.....

I think what he meant was that IF the RFDR follower is NOT pulled,
and IS in adjustment, then further adjustment is never required.
This is true.  "Normal" maintenance of RFDR adjustment would generally
only involve infinity focus, if these parts were never removed from
the RFDR.  The vertical adjustment is pretty stable, and the close-
focus compensation is virtually forever UNLESS THE RFDR or the light
baffle in the camera "box" has to be pulled (i.e. for shutter/flash
sync/curtain brake repair/curtain replacement).

I hope to God this was a misunderstanding.  DAG has one of the best
reputations in this country -- MUCH better than Leitz -- and
equal to Sherry.

Regards, Nigel and the rest of the bunch,
Walt