Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinder adjustments
From: Mike Austin <maustin@uswnvg.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 16:19:45 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I like this discussion.  Im learning more about the RFs inner workings.  This
is good.  Thanks everyone.

I'll let the Pres know about the QC concerns.  Of course, it will be up to the
Pres to give an "executive order" to have the QC checked out.

As for how Leica is treating me, its been good.  Its just that I have very
little patience.  And thats my fault, not Leica's.  My dealer has been very
helpful and understanding.  Actually, thats the kind of "service" that I like.
To be given a loaner for the weekend, thats great!!  And a lens to go with it,
too.  My eye is telling me the RF is off.  I just want the RF working properly
so I can see the results of the M6TTL and the M lenses.  The dealer and Leica
are doing what they can to satisfy me as a customer.  Thats good.

Its the QC, I guess.  For the amount of money spent on something like this, you
expect it to be flawless.  Perfect everytime, right off the shelf.  My friend
tried out my M6TTL.  He's new to the Leica M.  He was concerned about the
images seen through the RF.  He didnt mention it to me because he wasnt sure.
Because he used it briefly, he wasnt quite sure what he had seen.  After I told
him that I noticed the vertical and infinite focus was off, he said that he
noticed that too...but wasnt sure.  He tried it the day I bought it!  Naturally
I said, "You should have told me!!  Especially when I lay out that kind of
money for something!!!"  hahaha  That was with the RF, not the prints.

To know the inner workings of something, you can at least have meaningful
discussions with your repairperson when describing the problem and what you
want looked at or verified.  So, I wont be making my own adjustments, I'll
leave that for the experts.  For me, I just need to know what is all involved
in adjustments.  Bad habits from tinkering....I guess.  hahaa

Thanks!