Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: thank you
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 16:02:11 -0400

At 10:20 AM 12/2/98 -0800, Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> wrote:

>So what I think of the Elmar is that it's a great lens; it is not a
>Summicron-M Aspheric and it is not a Noctilux, but it will fit in my
>pocket. Well, it will as soon as I get a decent lens cap for it; the
>one that came with it is a piece of plastic junk. (Jeff said he'd
>order me a real lens cap).
>

>Brian

Brian:

A bit of advise on the lens cap.  I have the black version of your lens and
it came with a nice metal cap.  If you put the metal cap on the lens
without the hood, it will rub against the aperture ring and within a few
hours in your pocket you will have brassing on the aperture ring.  After
seeing this start to happen after just one outing to a birthday party sans
hood, I got a plastic cap.  This may be why they now ship with plastic caps.

As for the performance of the lens, you should be very happy with it.  I
had an old 50mm elmar which I compared it to and the difference is night
and day.  The new Elmar-M is contrasty and sharp like the rest of the
latest Leica lenses.

Which summicron would you like next, the 50, 35, or 90?  I am a bit guilty
about not contributing to this gift because I tend to procratinate and
never thought it would happen this quick.  Maybe there are others on the
LUG that feel the same way and can do something about the Summicron.

Regards,

Robert Stevens