Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Happy Thanksgiving
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 15:09 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

Alan Ball wrote:

> If yes, then you are coherent with your retro analogy. If no, well, what
> is wrong - in principle - with 'gizmos' here, if they are welcome there
> ? Seriously, some hard core programmers find that an old unix (or even
> DOS) text interface is much 'better' than whatever Gates has come with
> since 1990, or that the Apple II + CP/M remains the epitomy of personal
> computing....

Horribly off topic I know, but I have a little museum of old computers. It
includes what I rather suspect to be the last working Apple Lisa (with 5Mb
external HD) on this side of the pond. When you put the Lisa alongside the
latest Mac with 8.5, or PC with NT4, what strikes you is not how *far*
we've come, but how very *very* little real progress has been made...

David Morton                       |  "Times are bad. Children no
dmorton@journalist.co.uk           |  longer obey their parents and
David.Morton@openconsulting.co.uk  |  everyone is writing a book."
(+44) 171 917 6272                 |  Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)