Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: JB, filters, flames, and technique
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 15:09 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

Nigel Watson wrote:

[snip]
> Another problem with "expert" opinions is that they often disagree
> completely.  Cases in point: "Moose" Peterson is a published pro
> photographer and author who is acknowledged as a Nikon expert.  He
> writes
> that the 85/2 Nikkor is a dog.  Galen Rowell, whose reputation preceeds
> him, has used that lens for an enormous body of his work, and says it is
> a great lens.
[snip]

When I was still dumb enough to waste time on
rec.photo.equipment.35mm.onanism or whatever it's called, I saw many
references to MP's books, and finally tracked a couple down and bought
them.

While they're useful references in some respects, I take his opinions
about lens quality with a *huge* pinch of salt. He seems to have some very
odd opinions about some lenses in the range which are utterly at odds with
my personal experiences with examples of the same lenses (and those of my
colleagues).

And I find his prose style very tortured, he needs a good editor (as do we
all).

David Morton
(1541 unread in my LUG list folder, my *word* you chaps have been busy
while I've been away!)