Subject: Re: [Leica] SOFTLY RELEASE YOURSELF
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 14:46:49 EST

I agree on the cumbersome nature of the Winder-M, but once again I must
plead ignorance:  to the reason so many here are enamoured of the
Leicavit-come-Rapidwinder.  I used an MP way back when and found that it
precluded holding the Leica in the classic position: left palm constantly
face-up underneath with the thumb and fingers working the focussing ring.
Using it with the camera turned for a vertical was a physical
impossibility for me.  And that was when we pre-set the aperture; now
when using the TTL meter, the left hand has even more reason to be about
the lens.  Except for left-eyed shooters, the Leica thumbwinder was much
less upsetting.  Perhaps if Mr. Abrahmsson were to manufacture a modern
counterpart of the MOOLY...a battery-less, spring-wound winder triggered
by the shutter release, I could understand the hoopla.  I never
understood why Leica could not make a winder for the M with lesser
dimensions such as were available for many of the Japanese manual-focus
SLR's.   Certainly with today's micro-circuitry and an $800 price tag it
should not be as large as the camera itself.

Regards,
Nigel

On Sat, 14 Nov 1998 13:06:34 EST RBedw51767@aol.com writes:
  I applaud Tom Abrahamsson for committing to making a
>quality
>product with his RapidWinder.  The quality of the one that I own is as
>good as
>the camera it attaches to...an M6.  I love the smoothness, quietness,
>balance
>and the speed that it brings to the camera.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]