Subject: Re: [Leica] SOFTLY RELEASE YOURSELF
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 14:19:43 EST

Nigel wrote:
>Please pardon my apparent ignorance, but how (aside from the assortment
of colours) do these $10 soft releases improve upon the ones from Kalt or
Hama which my local dealer sells for $1.95?
Regards,
Nigel<

Nigel,
The Softrelease is an improvement over most of the other available ones. The
diameter of the surface is the same as the cup surrounding the release button
of a M release, it is made from a very durable aero space alloy, which means
that the threads do not distort or wear out. The top of it is dome shaped and
this allows you far more control over the pressure applied to the release. You
trigger it as you would a trigger on a gun, with the second joint of the
finger. Most other releases are made with a cup shaped depression in the
centre, this tends to guide the tip of the finger to it and the downward
movement of the finger tip is less controlled than the smoother "stroke" of
the 2nd joint of the finger. I find that I can shoot about a stop slower,
without camera shake, with the Softrelease in place, than without it.
 These Softreleases are turned on a CNC machining centre and this gives the
knurled edge and the thread a better appearance as well as durability that
most of the cast plastic or soft aluminium ones lack. The cast ones are
usually cast in a split "form" which means that the thread is not a continuos
thread, but has a casting "ridge" on the thread. This makes the thread less
durable and also gives it a tendency to wobble loose.
 As for cost, the material alone is more than 20% of the retail sales cost,
machining these are not cheap, a CNC turning centre costs anywhere from
US$50,000 and up and all the tools are custom made for the product. As with
everything, if I sold them in the 100,000's volume, the price would probably
drop by 15-20%, but these Softreleases are sold in small batches or
individually, packaging, postage etc., adds up quickly. The fact that I can
supply different colors, or if the customer wants it, custom engraving on the
top of the Softrelease is another added cost factor. So far it has held its
own and I have managed to recoup most of the developing cost, but it is
certainly not a high profit centre.
 It is very much a fact of volume, if you do a quality product in small
volume, the price is bound to be higher than a large volume, low cost material
product.
 I tried a lot of the other Softreleases and found them lacking in quality.
Over the years I have collected a lot of accessories, made by outside
companies, for Leica's. There has been some good ones. The Camian rewind crank
of the 60's is a thing of beauty - and today it would probably cost $100 to
make! Some of the grips are very good. Most of the Softreleases I found
lacking the quality I wanted. A lot of what I make is based on the frustration
of being unable to find something that matches the quality of a Leica.
Softly,
Tom A
Subj:	 Re: [Leica] SOFTLY RELEASE YOURSELF
Date:	11/14/98 8:56:07 AM Pacific Standard Time
From:	nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Sender:	owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Reply-to:	leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
To:	leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
On Fri, 13 Nov 1998 19:06:56 EST TTAbrahams@aol.com writes:
>SOFTLY RELEASE YOURSELF  from the Pressures of the Festive Season…
- -----------------
>The Abrahamsson Softrelease is now available in:
>- gold
>- green (new great color hue - made once only - then back to the darker
traditional green)
>- purple
>- blue
>
>and of course in the traditional colors:  black, chrome and red.
>The Softrelease fits Leica's  - and also any other camera with a
>standard cable release. >
>The Softrelease(s) would make a great Christmas Stocking Stuffer for a
>Leica user!
>
>Please see below regarding the price and how to order. You can find
>the same information also in:
>www.rapidwinder.com
>
>What's the Price and How to order:
>The cost of an individual 'Softy' is US$ 10. Dealers who buy in larger
>quantities - 20 or more -  get them at $ 7 each. Both prices include
>shipping by  regular mail.
>The way you get your Soft Release(s) is to mail me an address label
>with your name and address written on it and your check (or money order).
Once