Subject: Re: [Leica] SOFTLY RELEASE YOURSELF
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 15:32:22 EST

Tom,
Your first paragraph says it all and you needn't defend the price any
further. Engineering should be judged for its efficacy, not its
complexity; and the engineer justly rewarded for his ingenuity.  Like the
auto mechanic who charged the customer $100.50 for causing his automobile
to restart by simply rapping the engine twice with a hammer.  The enraged
owner demanded a breakdown of the charge.  "Twenty-five cents for each
hammer tap" was the answer, "and $100 for knowing *where* to tap."

Regards,
Nigel

On Sat, 14 Nov 1998 14:19:43 EST TTAbrahams@aol.com writes:

>Nigel,
>The Softrelease is an improvement over most of the other available
>ones. The
>diameter of the surface is the same as the cup surrounding the release
>button
>of a M release, it is made from a very durable aero space alloy, which
>means
>that the threads do not distort or wear out. The top of it is dome
>shaped and
>this allows you far more control over the pressure applied to the
>release. You
>trigger it as you would a trigger on a gun, with the second joint of
>the
>finger. Most other releases are made with a cup shaped depression in
>the
>centre, this tends to guide the tip of the finger to it and the
>downward
>movement of the finger tip is less controlled than the smoother
>"stroke" of
>the 2nd joint of the finger. I find that I can shoot about a stop
>slower,
>without camera shake, with the Softrelease in place, than without it.

<snip>

> [...]
>small
>volume, the price is bound to be higher than a large volume, low cost
>material
>product.
> I tried a lot of the other Softreleases and found them lacking in
>quality.
>Over the years I have collected a lot of accessories, made by outside
>companies, for Leica's. There has been some good ones. The Camian
>rewind crank
>of the 60's is a thing of beauty - and today it would probably cost
>make! Some of the grips are very good. Most of the Softreleases I
>found
>lacking the quality I wanted. A lot of what I make is based on the
>frustration
>of being unable to find something that matches the quality of a Leica.
>
>Softly,
>Tom A
>Subj:	 Re: [Leica] SOFTLY RELEASE YOURSELF
>Date:	11/14/98 8:56:07 AM Pacific Standard Time
>From:	nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
>Sender:	owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>Reply-to:	leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>To:	leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>Please pardon my apparent ignorance, but how (aside from the
>assortment
>of colours) do these $10 soft releases improve upon the ones from Kalt
>or
>Hama which my local dealer sells for $1.95?
>Regards,
>Nigel
>On Fri, 13 Nov 1998 19:06:56 EST TTAbrahams@aol.com writes:
>>SOFTLY RELEASE YOURSELF  from the Pressures of the Festive Season…
>-----------------
>>The Abrahamsson Softrelease is now available in:
>>- gold
>>- green (new great color hue - made once only - then back to the
>darker
>traditional green)
>>- purple
>>- blue
>>
>>and of course in the traditional colors:  black, chrome and red.
>>The Softrelease fits Leica's  - and also any other camera with a
>>standard cable release. >
>>The Softrelease(s) would make a great Christmas Stocking Stuffer for
>>Leica user!
>>
>>Please see below regarding the price and how to order. You can find
>>the same information also in:
>>www.rapidwinder.com
>>
>>What's the Price and How to order:
>>------------------------------------------
>>The cost of an individual 'Softy' is US$ 10. Dealers who buy in
>larger
>>quantities - 20 or more -  get them at $ 7 each. Both prices include
>>shipping by  regular mail.
>>The way you get your Soft Release(s) is to mail me an address label
>>with your name and address written on it and your check (or money
>order).
>Once
>>it has arrived, your Soft Release(s) will be on its (their) way.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]