Subject: Re: [Leica] BALDERDASH
From: "Joe Stephenson" <joeleica@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 18:11:20 -0700

It's interesting how the subject of the "best kind" of light comes up from
time to time. Once again: light is light--at least as far as black and white
film goes. It's true, a good photographer will make the most of whatever
light can be had. But sometimes, there isn't the light that is needed, or
the light that will adequately bring the subject to the film. Controlling is
as much a part of picture taking as is the control of shutter speed or
camera movement. I love working in the studio with strobes. It's a whole new
world that gives the photographer absolute control of the lighting. It also
teaches you a lot about how light registers on film and how it will move to
paper. There is no right or wrong way to work. Clever, creative people will
make the most of what there is, even if it happens to be a pile of gadgets.
Joe Stephenson