Subject: Re: [Leica] Off Topic B & H photo
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 07:58:14 +0100

Eric,

I am not sure it is illegal; I believe that the mail order section in Pop Photo
contains a set of guidelines by which advertisers in the magazine are supposed
to abide, nothing more.

On another note, I have had mostly positive experiences with B&H; you do have to
be clear about what you want and not expect advice over the phone (or in
person). Another good shop is Smile Photo, also in New York. I did have a bad
experience with Focus Camera in New York about 10 years ago and have not spent a
penny with them since.

I now tend to support local dealers too, but of course this requires that there
are local dealers around who are on a higher caliber than the typical Ritz
Camera mall store (there are Belgian equivalents of those) where the salespeople
have no more knowledge of photography than of washing machines. I am lucky to
have found a couple of nice places locally with the help of fellow LUGgers, and
I now always go there first. My new 135/3.4 APO Telyt was bought at one such
local dealer, and I just upgraded to a new 35 Summicron APSH at another.

Of course, when you live in Europe you also have to consider pricing differences
among countries. If I lived in Denmark, for example, I probably would never buy
a Leica item there; the price level is just so much higher than in Germany that
it would make no sense at all.

Nathan

Eric Welch wrote:

> I believe it is quite illegal to hold an order more than 30 days after
> charging a credit card. At least in Mail Order. This may be one useful bit
> of info. we can glean from Pop Photo. :-) They have a section on mail order
> in each issue. Anybody got a copy?
> --
>
> Eric Welch
> St. Joseph, MO
> http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch
>
> It is of interest to note that while some dolphins are reported to have
> learned English...no human being has been reported to have learned
> dolphinese.
>
> Carl Sagan

- --
Nathan Wajsman