Subject: Re: [Leica] 135 APO M/Nathan Wajsman
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 07:14:31 +0100

Nigel,

To date, I have only used the 135 on my M3; I do have an M6, but just have
not had the need to shoot a slide with the lens yet (my M6 is usually fed
with Fuji Velvia, my M3 with B&W film). As for focusing various lenses, Erwin
has published the maximum apertures at which the rangefinder provides
accurate focusing at different magnifications. For the 135mm focal length,
the maximum aperture at which the lens can be RELIABLY focused is f4.88 on
the M3 and f6.1 on the classic M6. This is borne out by my personal
experience; while I do not have problems with focusing the lens in normal
usage, there are situations (full aperture and close focusing distance) where
the focus is not always accurate.

Nathan

N. B. Watson wrote:

> Nathan, may I ask, have you used the 135 f3.4 APO at f3.4 with a 0.72x
> -viewfinder camera?  The Leica literature all said that the reason for
> the "goggles" on the 135 f2.8 Elmarit was because that was required to
> get accurate focussing due to the lack of DOF at f2.8 (although I have
> always suspected that it was partly because it was a photojournalist lens
> and at the time it was introduced the PJ's favoured the M2 which did not
> have a 135 frame-line).
>
> Since the 3.4 is between the f4 and f2.8  I am wondering if it is
> *necessary* to use an M6HM or M3 to focus it sharply at f3.4, or if a
> standard M6 is adequate.
>
> Thank you kindly.
>
> Nigel

> or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium

Photography page:  http://members.tripod.com/~belgiangator/index.html