Subject: [Leica] Interesting National Geographic Photographer comment
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 23:21:03 -0500

I went to the National Press Photographers Flying Short Course in Des
Moines, Iowa today and had a wonderful time.

I was glad I took along my M6 and 35 Summilux ASPH. Father Don Doll,
National Geographic photographer, and teacher at Creighton University was
there and we were looking at a new scanner working (can scan a whole roll
of film in minutes - by Sony and costs $7,000). He saw my 35 Summilux ASPH
and asked about it, showing me his new M6 and ancient 35 Summilux. So I
mentioned to him that I had heard him comment on using AF cameras a lot and
asked if he was getting back into Leicas, or if he'd used them all along.

He said he bought a whole Contax G2 outfit and really liked the 21mm lens.
But he sold it all and got back into Leica. For several reasons. One was
the viewfinder of the G2 didn't work for him. Nor did the AF. Then he said
"I've used Leicas for 35 years, so I'm used to them." I had to agree. Once
you're used to something, it's easier to keep using it, rather than go "a
new way."

Then an old classmate of mine walked up. Mike Davis, former illustration
editor at National Geographic and former photo editor in Albuquerque and
Detroit. Now living in Omaha (and not doing anything so I hear). He was
using the Contax G2.

So it works for some people, and not for others. That's cool. But one thing
I've noticed. My photos have improved since I've been shooting Leica again
after several years of other cameras. That being the case, I did find the
new EOS3 compelling, and the EOS 35mm 1.4 ASPH and the 100-400 IS. Canon
sure has an edge technologically. But the glass is what really counts, and
is what I'm used to. So I'll use the EOS system if I go digital. But as
long as I use film, Leica is my choice, SLR and rangefinder. And if I go
digital, it won't be mine, so I'll keep the Leicas too.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch