Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W processing
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 14:50:44 -0400

At 03:53 PM 10/20/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Can any one recommend to me good source material on setting up a darkroom.
>I have just discovered some space in need of a use in an addition I am
>making to my home.  It will be compact (maybe 6x8) and I want to know if
>this is usable as a darkroom.  Thanks
>
>Bill Ferris

Hi, Bill -

My darkroom is a converted laundry room.  (We moved the washer and dryer
into the bedroom.)  It is 6 x 11, but three feet or so of the length is
taken up by the household water heater.  I wouldn't want it to be much
larger because I want to be able to find and reach everything in the dark.
If you don't have enough storage space in the darkroom, you can always
store most things somewhere else and just bring them in when you need them.
 It's a good idea to have one side of the darkroom as the "wet" side and
one as the "dry" side. You should have room for a darkroom sink with a
shelf for trays (there are stackers so you can put one tray over the other)
along one wall and a counter on the other wall with room for your enlarger
and space to put your negatives and a timer.  Under the counter you can
have drawers or shelves for paper.  Under the sink you can have bottle of
chemicals or a shelf with the chemtainers with spigots.  Don't forget a
darkroom exhaust fan.  Another plus is a rubber fatigue mat on the floor in
front of the enlarger.  I also like a radio to keep me company and a
portable phone for emergencies.  I'm glad I can't get the LUG in the
darkroom.  I'd never get anything done!!  Have fun!

Leically,

Tina
Tina Manley, ASMP
<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>