Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W and color
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 15:26:37 -0400

At 11:37 AM 10/21/98 +0000, you wrote:

 I have
>always assumed that there is NOTHING like a silver b&w print and that great
>b&w digital is years off.  Am I wrong here?  Given a reasonable computer,
>scanner, and printer investment (don't ask me what's "reasonable"!), does
>digital b&w quality compare well with silver prints?  If so, maybe I need to
>give it a try.  Thanks.
>
>John McLeod

Hi, John -

It's still true that there is nothing like a silver b&w print; however, the
quality of the ink jet prints from the Epson Photo Ex exceeds anything I
ever thought would be possible from a home computer and printer.  The
glicee prints, as they are called in art galleries, are being sold
everywhere.  They still haven't solved the problems of fading inks, but
they are working on it and I have not noticed any fading in my prints.  You
can do anything with your negative in Photoshop that you can do in the
darkroom and much more.  You can print on your choice of anything from
watercolor paper, to postcards, to photo weight glossy paper.  There are
almost too many choices.  I don't plan on giving up my darkroom anytime
soon.  There's too much magic in watching that image come up in the
developer.  I won't sell any glicee prints unless I can be positive that
they won't fade.  It certainly is fun to play with though and has
revolutionized the way I sell stock photography!  Give it a try!

Leically,

Tina
Tina Manley, ASMP
<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>