Subject: [Leica] Take me to your (Leitz) leader
From: "Dr James Harper" <DRJH@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 18:44:48 +0100

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 98 21:09:00 -0700, Brian wrote that in 1992 he began the
LUG with the following question:

>Has anybody worked out a good system for how to load modern film into
 an old Leica? I find that I can't do it unless I carefully take a pair
 of scissors and cut a longer tail on the film, but I often do this
 wrong and even when I do it right it takes several minutes. Is there a
 trick? Is there a tool that cuts the long film tail (e.g. something
 sold for use with a bulk film loader?).<

Brian,

In case you  did not get an answer, I have a gadget, which says that it is
made by Leitz,  which is designed precisely to do that.  It is in a dull
chrome finish. Perhaps it was once brighter.   You clip the film leader
into it and you then have an exposed  shaped edge which enables you to cut
off the bit which you need to get rid of. It is probably extremely rare and
enormously valuable therefore,  but I will happily send it to you as a gift
 and a token of appreciation for your work for LUG if you would find it
useful.  It is very effective.

There may be a few months  delay, as all my Leitz collectables are in
storage at present, following four years working in Papua New Guinea.  I
hope soon to retrieve them.

Best wishes.

JH