Subject: [Leica] M6 for Brian
From: "Dr James Harper" <DRJH@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 11:48:07 +0100

                                     --------------------------------------
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 98 17:31:38 -0700 he wrote

>From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Thanks to Brian [was mejac working again]

>Hmp. I used the money that I might have used to buy an M6 and instead I
bought a new computer. About the same price.

				------------------------------
>Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 10:09:30 +0900
>From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@ms.com>
>Subject: [Leica]M6 for Brian was: Re: [Leica] Re: Thanks to Brian [was
mejac working >again]

>LUGnuts:

>I would like to propose that we help Brian buy that M6.  His generosity
has
>given us this forum for our enjoyment and fury.  Each of us could
>contribute $10 or $20 towards the machine that kept us so entertained.

>Brian, please publish your snail mail address so that we could send our
>contribution to you.

>Here's my $20.

				---------------------------
I fully support Ken lisaka's proposal.  I enquired at the bank today how
best to send money from UK to USA. The answer was "Economy Money Mover" @
£5.50.

This takes the edge somewhat off a $20 dollar offering. Does any one know a
cheaper method?

If not,  I would be willing to act as a collecting point for UK Luggers if
anyone wishes, and if there are enough of them, so that the money could be
sent for only one bank fee.  To make it a bit harder for me to abscond with
the money, donors could perhaps pay it into a special account to be opened
for the purpose, at the same time sending a message to LUG and to my
private e-mail saying that they had done so, and the amount.  Or to Brian
and my private e-mail if preferred.  Either way, Brian would know what had
been given, so that he could strike me off the LUG for ever if I
disappeared without trace. This would be the greatest possible spur to
virtue that I could imagine.

I could also publish a list of donors on completion of the exercise.

Any comments or ideas on a] the desirability/need  of this and b] the
machinery for doing it?

I'm not looking for work  or fortune, just trying to be helpful in ensuring
that Brian is not out of pocket on this marvellous resource which he
provides, and also as a concrete way of saying thank you.

My UK phone/fax number is (0)1394 388399.

Regards.

James Harper