Subject: Re(2): [Leica] Black Finishh
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 07:17:00 -0700

>> << I have noticed that the finish on my black M6 is getting a dull matte
>> finish to it.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how maintain a clean
>>and new finish on the camera. >>
>>
>> Bob, I use Pledge on my M6's.>>>>>>>>

Hi guys,

I've found this an ineresting topic, as it bever occured to me to do
anything with them other than wipe them off after being used in the rain,
snow, desert or wherever. I purchased 3 bodies's in '85, they've never
stopped working, never had anything done to them other than a cursory check
on shutter speeds. And they sure as heck have never had any kind of polish
on them.

They have been used all over the world in every condition you can imagine,
but to "shine them up" like a new car is most interesting. When you really
want them to look "duller" therefore more P&S and less obtrusive.

I guess this falls into..."to each his own!" for looking pretty.

And to even consider using a spray of any kind, particularly "Pledge" on a
camera of any manufacture is sheer madness, as it gets inside those little
places where you can't get it off or out of. The next thing you
know..........  "gee I wonder why my camera seems to be sticking?"

If mine need any kind of wipe off I use the "old under wear" routine. You
know the kind of under wear that really can't be worn any longer as they've
become almost "see through!" :) They're lint free and oh so soft to the
touch! :)

I leave them alone, wipe them off gently when necessary leaving their
"duller/matt look" that was there when I got them. They're clean but not
shiny, allowing people to think I'm a tourist or amature.

But then as I said, "to each his own!" :)

However, if we were talking Mercedes or RR, you bet I'd keep it shiny!:)

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant