Subject: [Leica] was Digest V3 #356 strobe--light/colour
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 20:34:49 -0700

JG re-wrote:

>Slight correction on what I wrote:
>
>They were also shooting B&W. Color has put new demands and strobe is one
>of the requirements as part of the process.
>
>Should and now reads:
>
>They were also shooting B&W. Color has put new demands and strobe is MORE
>OFTEN THAN NOT one of the requirements as part of the process.>>>>>>>

Hi JG,

Naw, although you changed your wording mine stands regarding light. :)   A
photojournalist who understands light shoots colour the same as B&W.

Actually shooting B&W is more difficult, as you only have 2 things going
for you: " Light and Content!"  You don't have colours to take up the slack
if you haven't made a good photograph. :)

Besides, these days colour neg is used like B&W, then scanned,
Photo-shopped and beautiful colour!

You maybe referring to "product photography or commercial" but in
photojournalism, colour neg in some cases is the prime film of the day.
Photo agencies like "All Sport" do the bulk of their work on colour neg,
then make slide positives from the negs just as though they were making
prints.

And you can't tell that it isn't an original slide completely colour
corrected and in many cases no flash whatsoever was used.

It depends on what kind of photography you are doing to some degree. I know
of a wedding photographer who shoots all the colour set-up stuff while a
partner does all the quiet natural light B&W candids. The interesting thing
is, the candids quite often out weigh the colour print sales 2 to 1!

And the guy shooting the candids? ..........doesn't use any flash period! :)

Actually one wedding they did, he shot all colour neg available light as
though it were B&W and his images were just beautiful photographs of
capturing the real emotion of the day, rather than all the "well lit" flash
filled stuff.

Sorry my friend it isn't the flash that motivates you to take pictures,
it's the light on the subject. Yes and there are some guys that are
magicians with flash fill and you don't know it's been done. However, they
are few and far between.

ted