Subject: Re: [Leica] China Visit
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 98 08:58:09 +0800

>From: Gwpics@aol.com
>Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 13:37:28 EDT
>Subject: Re: [Leica] China visit
>
>I am visiting China (Beijing) in early November.   Does anyone have any
>experience re restrictions or otherwise on photography or Leica outlets etc.
>
>Thanks
>
>Gerry

Gerry,

I lived in Beijing for ten years (and still have an apartment there) and
now live in Shanghai. I have worked all over China and would say that you
have little to worry about so long as you are sensitive to your
surroundings: by which I mean don't try to photograph black market
currency traders at work or prostitutes and their pimps without their
agreement. But then that is just common sense and not the sort of thing
you are likely to be staring at most of the time!

You will stand out a mile simply being a foreigner so the camera you use
whether it is one or half a dozen makes little difference: your body
language and manner make a lot more. If you try and sneak shots of things
people might be ashamed of (like garbage collectors or public arguments,
traffic accidents etc.) you can expect problems. OTOH I regularly take
these and many other kinds of photographs here and get away with it:
speaking Chinese make a big difference though as a foreigner you are
generally forgiven a lot.

As for buying camera equipment here it is possible though not advisable
since this is a very poor country still. Most of the interesting stuff is
not sold openly in stores but in a large underground network which exists
primarily to avoid the immense import duties (approx 100% last time I
checked). Having said that you can expect to pay 20% to 50% more than US
prices for the items you find here. Film can be found at reasonable
prices but it will waste a lot of your time to visit the few decent
outlets for it in Beijing or Shanghai. There is one good store in Beijing
called Huifeng Camera in ZuJiaJie which has a limited selection of Leica
equipment (new). As for secondhand bargains: forget it. There is an army
of collectors in China and outside who have bought up anything worth
buying. For the most part the secondhand items you will find on sale here
are broken - this goes for cameras, clocks, cars even porcelain. Again
you need to be on the inside track to get anything good. Having said that
I did once pick up an M5, 21/3.4 + VF (boxed LN), 35/1.4 and 50/1.2
Noctilux for US$1800 from a dealer but that was a one off! If you are
interested in a new in box Rolleiflex 3.5F or a Chinese knock-off of M4
(HongQi or Red Flag) and are wiling to pay $1500 for the former and $9000
for the latter let me know...

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Adrian Bradshaw