Subject: Re: [Leica] M6TTL desirable?
From: jimbrick@photoaccess.com (Jim Brick)
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 09:41:44 -0700

I suspect two things. 1.) not many LUGgers need sophisticated flash with
their M6; and 2.) once everyone saw that they screwed-up the basic
operation (leds & speed dial) it was sort of a "turn-off." I have an old
Sun flash with a photocell that gives perfect flash exposures, two f/stop
choices. And it has a head that will point in any direction. And it's
small. So why would I want to buy a bass-akward M6, simply for TTL flash. I
guess you could say that the new M6 has one plus and two minuses. That adds
up to less than desirable to me.

There are a lot of people who need TTL flash. But are they M6 people? I
also have a Metz 60 CT-4 which has TTL (works with my R7's) and variable
power down to a tiny little pop. When I need flash, I use my R7's. With my
M6, I use my 35/1.4 . Others use their 50/1.0 . My old Sun works with
perfectly with my M6... but I don't want to use flash with my M6. That's
not a normal MO for an M6.

So... I believe that the Leica marketing people may have built a case for
the re-arranged TTL M6, out of cards, which may collapse and prove to be a
bad decision. Now, had they left the camera's operation alone...

I believe Leica will lose TTL sales to current M6 owners who want another
body. They will buy a classic. Perhaps a used classic.

Would there have been the same enthusiasm over the HM if they had messed
with he leds and shutter dial direction on that camera?

Jim

At 10:46 AM 10/1/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Jim Brick wrote:
>>

>> Are you the only LUGger to want one?
>>
>> Enquiring minds want to know.
>>
>> :)
>
>Jim,
>
>It's funny that the new M6TTL seem to attract
>much less attention on the LUG than the M6 0,85
>few months ago.
>
>;-)
>
>Lucien

Jim Brick