Subject: Re: [Leica] China visit
From: "Roger J. Hart" <servant@sunset.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 14:53:19 -0700

At 11:51 AM 10/1/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Gerry,
>
>I was in Beijing last in June and had no trouble pointing my camera at
>whatever I wanted in the City or at any of the usual sites such as the
>Forbidden Palace, etc. People did not seem to object to street shots.
>That being said, there are obvious places where you would not want to
>take pictures such as military installations, bases, etc.  I did not
>point my weapon at a policeman or soldier. I am not sure about some of
>the official buildings. I think if you use judgment, there should be
>few problems.
>
>I do not know if there are Leica outlets.  There certainly are any
>number of used Chinese and Russian cameras available at all sorts of
>"antique" shops. Be sure to bargain hard.
>
>It is a wonderful and exciting city.  Have fun.
>
>Steve

I've spent sometime in south-asia....Pakistan, specifically, and have
*never* had a problem doing what I wanted to do, wether it's
picture-taking, going inside a Hindu temple, etc.

Movies like "red corner" kind of give you the creeps as far as a country
like China goes, and yes, the Chinese do suffer from paranoia to a degree
(don't we all), but if it's anything like Pakistan...it's greatly
overplayed. If you want to take someone's or something's picture over
there, and you are not sure, *ask.* More then likely, there won't be any
problem.

It's amazing how Westernized the world has become, including
China.....You'll see what I mean....