Subject: Re: [Leica] Red Dots and Leica Recognition
From: "Roger J. Hart" <servant@sunset.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 14:39:25 -0700

At 02:41 PM 10/1/98 EDT, you wrote:
>I'm certain that most non-photo-enthusiast citizens (of many countries) under
>the age of 50 don't readily recognize the Leica name, camera or its cost...I
>refer to *honest* citizens, though; I'm equally certain that
>thieves--especially professional ones--can spot a Leica from 100 yards off in
>pea-soup fog even if it has its logo taped-over.  Only in the comic books
>could someone put on a little black eyemask and even his closest friends
>wouldn't recognize who he really was.
>
>Jay

Yes, they are a *luxury* camera. As such, they command a high price on the
used market. But there's been a proliferation of lux cameras of late, names
like Nikon, Konica, the new Contax which is sold mainstream, even the
little Minolta TC-1.

Now, a new Hasselblad/Fuji rangefinder on top of everything else....I think
this all helps us, because the more cameras there are out there, the less
liklihood *you'll* be the unlucky one; and...the more there are out there
as a class, the less desireable they become....and the more confusion it
creates.

Cross out Leica, and write Minolta (gasp) across where the logo is....I'll
bet they'll never know.... : )

Just my 2 cents worth.....

Roger......