Subject: RE: [Leica] Disguising My M6
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant98@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 00:07:21 PDT

Jeffrey Hausner wrote:

<<<<<<<O.K., I finally have to jump in on this.  The idea of disguising
cameras derives from combat photographers who used to {perhaps still do}
use black tape or other substance to cover parts of their camera bodies
and other equipment which would reflect light and draw the attention of
the enemy {That's also the second reason why combat photographers always
use lens shades}.  It can be a reasonable thg to do under certain
circumstances.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Gee Buzz,

I never thought of that when I was one. I was always more afraid of
light reflecting off the lens. (Shade or not) I never carried a camera
around my neck  and riding on my chest after I saw what Ben Oyserman's
Nikon and chest looked like when he was hit full in the lens and it went
right threw the lens and out his back carrying the better part of the
camera and shade into his body. :(

Some guys may have taped during WW 2 or wars over the past 50 years for
the reason you say, but I don't recall making any big thing out of it as
we see on the LUG over the stealing aspects.

I still feel it's a hypothetical taping thing and really doesn't save
the camera one way or the other from being stolen. And given I just got
ripped for an R8, lens and winder 4 days ago, I don't really think if it
were taped I'd still have it.

ted