Subject: [Leica] 80 Summilux/100 APO
From: John Gong <jgong@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 08:50:01 +0100

I'm sorry if this has already been answered in the same manner, but I subscribe to the digest to cut down on the number of messages...

I bought the 100 APO because it is simply the sharpest macro lens on the market.  Using a macro lens opens up vistas for many of us who forget to see the details that bring us joy.  The 100 APO brings this other world to us like no other lens.

The 80 f1.4 is (untested, but I'm sure) far down the list in lines/mm ratings, but has wonderful color resolution, excellent sharpness, and pleasing bokeh (sorry to stir up old religion).

Since much of my photography is family photos, I have found that the 100 is too sharp - an example is that it shows every blemish in a 3 year-old's skin!!  Call me a romantic, but I am not trying to clinically document the health of my children when strolling in the park on a weekend morning.  The 80 is an ideal lens for the close in, near portrait shots, or for tightly composed images from 10 paces.   The 80 has been nearly glued to the R body since I bought it; the 100 brought out for special purposes.  Your mileage will vary depending on your intended results.

John